Saturday, August 14, 2010

6a) Discovering what we delight in

Another week has gone by.  A week at home and at work.  What a beautiful place I live in and commute to work to.  My office is replendent; spacious, with windows, a sofa, clean and spartan.  I recently moved in and threw away decades of papers, books, paraphernalia I don't need anymore.  I like getting rid of things, paring my life down to essentials.  I love beauty and art but do not want to own them, although I would like to be surrounded by them so they can also be shared by others.

I like cities; Boston, New York, Toronto, Montreal, San Francisco, etc, because one turns a corner and there's a quiet spot with fountains, statues, flowers and trees.  One wanders down a street and there are incredible buildings made from stone, inlaid with marble, old houses with red brick and the finest small details from the 17 or 1800s.  People in a city have such vibrancy.  Women walk with such confidence, wearing dresses and outfits that assert their beauty and their right to dominate their lives.

Outside of cities, there is nature and quiet and peace and cleanliness, but less people.  It would be perfect to find a place that has both.

No comments:

Post a Comment